Update: this recipe now includes oven and air fryer directions.
Easy air fryer BBQ chicken roll-ups with BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, melted mozzarella, and sliced red onions all baked in rolled-up pizza dough.
BBQ chicken roll-ups are simple and easy to put together for parties, gatherings, and holiday appetizers. My spouse was even taking them into work the next day to munch on.
To gauge how big they are: they’re not single bites, they’re more like 3 bites. Which is why they can be made as an appetizer or a main dish.
Keep in mind, with each addition, you want to be minimal and cut the onions into thin strips. Otherwise, you will have difficulties rolling the pizza dough and have the filling fall out.
I also made these pepperoni and cheese pizza roll-ups that my family loved! The kids also enjoyed making them with me.
I don’t recommend adding more sauce to the roll-ups. When I did, they were falling apart and not keeping their circular shape.
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Roll-Ups
- Pillsbury Refrigerated Canned Pizza Crust, or similar
- Shredded Chicken, (or canned chicken)
- BBQ Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Red Onion
- Pam Cooking Spray or Parchment Paper
How to Make Perfect Shredded Chicken
Making shredded rotisserie-style chicken at home is so easy! If you don’t have leftover BBQ pulled chicken like this crockpot BBQ chicken, you can try Instant Pot Shredded Chicken to get perfectly tender chicken without having to watch it while it cooks!
If you do not have leftover BBQ chicken or an Instant Pot to whip up some shredded chicken, this is the easiest and fastest way: boiling chicken. This is the method I used.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Roll-Ups
This is the pizza dough I baked with. It comes with 1 pizza dough per can.
Once you have your ingredients placed, roll them up, and place them in the air fryer basket lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes. Top each roll-up with additional cheese. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
Try these other great appetizers!
- Air Fryer 5 Cheese Lasagna Fritta (Olive Garden Copycat)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos
- Beef Crostini with Mascarpone Sauce
- Classic Beer Cheese Fondue
- Easy Party Cheese Ball
- Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos (Copycat Recipe)
- Mini Cornbread Bites
- Peking Egg Rolls
- Spicy Honey Prosciutto Flatbread
- 1 Refrigerated Canned Pizza Crust (Like Pillsbury's, see above)
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken (or 12 oz canned chicken)
- ⅓ cup Diced Red Onion
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Mozzarella, plus more for topping
- Cooking Spray or Parchment Paper
- Roll out pizza dough and spread an even layer of BBQ sauce. Add shredded chicken, sliced onions, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of the BBQ sauce. Carefully roll the dough up, starting with the long edge. Begin cutting the rolled dough into 2" thick pieces.
Note: Begin by cutting in half in the middle, and then in half again, and so on to get even pieces.
Air Fryer Method
- Follow the step above to make roll-ups.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside the air fryer basket.
- Heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes, then sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of each roll-up. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Follow the first step above to make roll-ups.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with Pam nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Place each roll-up flat on the prepared baking sheet. Top each one with extra mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-16 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and cooked through the center.
I don't recommend adding more sauce to the roll-ups. They fall apart and do not hold their circular shape.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 116Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 5mgSodium 262mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 4g
Nutrition is not always accurate.