How to cook juicy, tender cast-iron skillet flank steak seasoned and seared that tastes as if a top chef cooked it for you. You’ll never want to cook it any other way!
Have you ever wondered how to cook tender pieces of flank steak? This delicious recipe will have you eating restaurant tasting steak.
I really wanted steak and fries and I’ve cooked with flank steak before on the grill. I know how tender it can be if you cut against the grain in thin strips.
Ingredients for Cast-Iron Skillet Flank Steak
- Flank Steak
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
This is the smaller of my two cast-iron skillets. If you have a larger one I am sure you could fit all 4 pieces of steak in at once.
What temperature should flank steak be?
Flank steak is really best at a rare (125-130 degrees Fahrenheit) to medium-rare (130-135 degrees Fahrenheit) temperature.
If the steak reaches medium temperature (140-145 degrees Fahrenheit) it begins to get dry and tough.
What part of the cow does flank steak come from?
Flank steak comes from the cow’s abdominal muscles and is known to be a tough, but lean cut of beef with a thick grain.
How do you make flank steak tender?
- Marinading flank steak is one of the best ways to tenderize this cut of beef. It helps break down the muscle fibers and collagen.
- Another way to tenderize the beef is by making small cuts in the beef’s fibers before cooking it. In this recipe, I cut 1/8” diagonal slices into the top of the steak, about 1/4” deep.
How you cut the beef after it cooks is important too.
- Cutting against the grain and breaking apart the fibers is important. This way, as you take each bite of beef, you are chewing with the grain and it pulls apart easily.
What is flank steak good for?
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Salpicón, Shredded Beef Mexican Salad
- Carne Asada
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Balsamic Steak Salad
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Steak, Potato, and Mushroom Foil Packs
- Teriyaki Beef Jerky
Cast-Iron Skillet Flank Steak Sides:
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Firecracker Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Ultimate Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs Flank Steak
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- If your flank steak is one large piece, cut into 4 equal pieces. To tenderize the meat, cut 1/8” diagonal slices into the top of the steak, about 1/4” deep.
- Mix Worcestershire and seasonings together and coat beef with marinade. Allow to refrigerate for 30 minutes (or overnight.) Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking to allow beef to reach room temperature.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add steak to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Wrap steak in foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. This gets it to a medium-rare temperature.
Rare internal temperature: 125-130 degrees Fahrenheit
Medium-rare internal temperature: 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit
Medium internal temperature: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cutting against the grain, slice beef into 1/4” pieces. Serve with your favorite sides!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 371Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 134mgSodium 644mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 47g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.