This is a recipe for cheesy hash brown casserole without soup topped with a crunchy cornflake topping. It’s great for making ahead for the holidays or get-togethers. Just pop it in the oven the next day when you’re ready!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It is the best comfort food, which is one of the reasons they’re also called funeral potatoes. Cheesy potatoes can be made in a 13×9 or a 2-quart baking dish.
Let me just say I’ve eaten my share of cheesy potatoes. They are a household favorite for a lot of families, and mine is no exception. After all, it is the best comfort food, which is one of the reasons they’re also called funeral potatoes.
In addition to that, they’re easy to make ahead, put in the fridge, and pop in the oven the next day.
My mother found that her main migraine trigger is MSG so I do not use canned cream of chicken soup. I make my own from scratch for her.
You can find my version of homemade cream of chicken soup here. It makes the perfect amount for this recipe.
Ingredients for Cheesy Potatoes
- 30 oz Bag of Frozen Hash Browns
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Sour Cream
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Garlic Powder
Ingredients for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Broth
- All-Purpose Flour
Topping For Cheesy Potatoes
- Crushed Corn Flakes
- Fresh Parsley
Can I make cheesy potatoes the night before?
Yes, you can make them up to 24 hours ahead of time with everything mixed in your casserole dish. Store them in the refrigerator and pop them in the oven 45 minutes prior to your eating time.
Can I Freeze Cheesy Potatoes Before and After Baking?
Yes to both!
To freeze before baking, mix all ingredients according to directions and place them into a freezer-safe container or an aluminum pan and cover with freezer wrap or aluminum foil. It can last up to 3 months frozen.
Once you’re ready to bake it, take it out the day before and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator at least overnight. Bake according to directions.
To freeze leftovers after baking, it is best to do so within 2 hours of baking to prevent any bacteria growth to begin.
Place the cheesy hashbrowns in a freezer-safe container, like an aluminum pan as mentioned above, and cover with freezer wrap or aluminum foil so that it is airtight. It can last up to 3 months frozen.
Once you are ready to reheat the already baked dish, remove it the day before and thaw in the refrigerator at least overnight. It’s best to reheat in the microwave to prevent drying out in the oven (But make sure not to put aluminum in the microwave!)
Try these other great potato dishes!
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Bacon Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Leftover Ham and Potatoes
- Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Sausage and Potatoes
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole
- Ultimate Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Cheesy Potato Hash Browns without Canned Soup
- 30 oz Bag of Frozen Hash Browns
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 Pint Sour Cream
- ½ cup Melted Butter
- 1 ½ cups Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ¾ cup Crushed Corn Flakes
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- Fresh Chopped Parsley for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13"x9" baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together hash browns (make sure there are no clumps), 1 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, ½ cup melted butter, cream of chicken soup, and seasonings in a medium-sized bowl. Pour potato mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a small dish. Crush corn flakes and mix into butter. Top potatoes with remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese, then top with crushed corn flakes. Sprinkle parsley over top.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes until mixture begins to bubble and is cooked through to the center.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.