Chorizo queso with flour tortilla chips is made with melted white Oaxaca cheese or American cheese, Mexican spiced pork sausage, and fried flour tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
What is chorizo?
Different cultures make different versions of chorizo, but in short, chorizo is pork seasoned with a high concentration of spices.
Mexican Chorizo vs. Spanish Chorizo
There’s often a mix-up between Mexican and Spanish chorizo. They’re actually not the same recipe and are made with different textures, spices, and overall different flavors.
Mexican chorizo is made of fatty ground pork and sold raw in the stores. It needs to be heated thoroughly before eating.
It’s typically found in a plastic tube that needs removed before cooking and is easy to cook on the stovetop like ground beef.
It’s full of flavor and great when mixed together with eggs, added to chicken or steak tacos, chili, and more.
Spanish chorizo, on the other hand, is cured and often smoked, chopped pieces of pork, not ground. It receives its red color from the large amounts of smoked paprika added to it.
Spanish chorizo can be eaten without cooking because it has already been cooked at a low temperature for a long period of time.
It’s often found in a synthetic casing similar to summer sausage. It has a bit of a chewier bite to it like other dried sausages and is delicious on a charcuterie board!
Ingredients for Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- Oaxaca Cheese or White American Cheese
- Mexican Pork Chorizo
- Flour Tortilla Shells
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make Chorizo Queso
In a pan, cook chorizo for 6-7 minutes. Drain grease.
In a saucepan, melt the cheese over medium-low heat and stir frequently.
The chorizo can be topped on the cheese or mixed in.
How to Make Flour Tortilla Chips
Cut flour tortillas like a pizza into 8 pieces using a pizza slicer. I was able to stack 2-3 at a time to cut through simultaneously.
To make the tortilla chips, add a ½″ of oil to a large pan over medium-high heat.
Once hot, place cut flour tortilla pieces into the oil and cook for approximately 1 minute per side.
Place cooked tortilla chips on a towel-lined plate to drain.
Serve melted cheese with chorizo on top or blended in and dip flour tortilla chips.
Try these other delicious dishes!
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Garlic-Lime Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos
- Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup (Esquites)
- One-Pan Chicken Flautas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- 2 lb Oaxaca or White American Cheese
- 9 oz Mexican Pork Chorizo
- 6-8 Flour Tortilla Shells
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Using a pizza slicer, cut flour tortillas like a pizza into 8 pieces. See above photos for more information.
- In a pan, cook chorizo for 6-7 minutes. Drain grease.
- In a saucepan, melt the cheese over medium-low heat and stir frequently.
- To make the tortilla chips, add a ½" of oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place cut flour tortilla pieces into the oil and cook for approximately 1 minute per side. Place cooked tortilla chips on a towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve melted cheese with chorizo on top or blended in and dip flour tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.