Chorizo queso with flour tortilla chips is made with melted white Oaxaca cheese or American cheese, Mexican spiced pork sausage, and fried flour tortilla chips.
What is chorizo?
Different cultures make different versions of chorizo, but in short, chorizo is pork seasoned with a high concentration of spices.
Mexican Chorizo vs. Spanish Chorizo
There’s often a mix-up between Mexican and Spanish chorizo. They’re actually not the same recipe and are made with different textures, spices, and overall different flavors.
Mexican chorizo is made of fatty ground pork and sold raw in the stores. It needs to be heated thoroughly before eating.
It’s typically found in a plastic tube that needs removed before cooking and is easy to cook on the stovetop like ground beef.
It’s full of flavor and great when mixed together with eggs, added to chicken or steak tacos, chili, and more.
Spanish chorizo, on the other hand, is cured and often smoked, chopped pieces of pork, not ground. It receives its red color from the large amounts of smoked paprika added to it.
Spanish chorizo can be eaten without cooking because it has already been cooked at a low temperature for a long period of time.
It’s often found in a synthetic casing similar to summer sausage. It has a bit of a chewier bite to it like other dried sausages and is delicious on a charcuterie board!
Ingredients for Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- Oaxaca Cheese or White American Cheese
- Mexican Pork Chorizo
- Flour Tortilla Shells
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make Chorizo Queso
In a pan, cook chorizo for 6-7 minutes. Drain grease.
In a saucepan, melt the cheese over medium-low heat and stir frequently.
The chorizo can be topped on the cheese or mixed in.
How to Make Flour Tortilla Chips
Cut flour tortillas like a pizza into 8 pieces using a pizza slicer. I was able to stack 2-3 at a time to cut through simultaneously.
To make the tortilla chips, add a 1/2″ of oil to a large pan over medium-high heat.
Once hot, place cut flour tortilla pieces into the oil and cook for approximately 1 minute per side.
Place cooked tortilla chips on a towel-lined plate to drain.
Serve melted cheese with chorizo on top or blended in and dip flour tortilla chips.
Try these other delicious dishes!
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos
- Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup (Esquites)
- One-Pan Chicken Flautas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lb Oaxaca or White American Cheese
- 9 oz Mexican Pork Chorizo
- 6-8 Flour Tortilla Shells
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Using a pizza slicer, cut flour tortillas like a pizza into 8 pieces. See above photos for more information.
- In a pan, cook chorizo for 6-7 minutes. Drain grease.
- In a saucepan, melt the cheese over medium-low heat and stir frequently.
- To make the tortilla chips, add a 1/2" of oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place cut flour tortilla pieces into the oil and cook for approximately 1 minute per side. Place cooked tortilla chips on a towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve melted cheese with chorizo on top or blended in and dip flour tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 535Total Fat 37.5gSaturated Fat 17.9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 106mgSodium 1444mgCarbohydrates 18.8gFiber 0gSugar 0.8gProtein 26.3g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.