This is a recipe for corn and black bean salsa with whole kernel corn, black beans, salsa, and spices is the easiest appetizer to put together.
Serve with corn chips or on top of tacos, enchiladas, burritos, taco salad, or even something simple like grilled chicken breast.
This is what I would call a “dump” appetizer, similar to dump meals where you can throw it all together and serve it.
There’s next to no prep and involves no cooking at all.
The dish can be served at room temperature or allowed to chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Ingredients for Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Salsa (I used On The Border Medium Salsa)
- Black Beans
- Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- Chili Powder
How to Make Corn and Black Bean Salsa
It’s so simple to make. There’s no cooking or baking involved!
- Open the canned corn and black beans with a can opener and drain both.
- Pour both into a bowl and add salsa.
- Add spices and stir together.
Can fresh ingredients be used?
Fresh corn off the cob and black beans can be used, but should be cooked first just like canned goods are during the canning process.
For the corn:
- For the corn on the cob, you can either grill it for 10 minutes until charred, or boil in a pot of water with 1/2 cup of sugar for about 12 minutes.
- Then, cut the corn off of the cob by running a knife vertically along the cob and break up the pieces.
For the black beans:
- For the black beans, simmer in a pot of water (plus any desired seasonings) for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. Check frequently to ensure there’s enough water in the pot and check the beans for tenderness.
Freshly made salsa can also be added.
Can black bean and corn salsa be frozen?
Yes it can. Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months for best quality.
When ready to serve, allow to thaw over night in the refrigerator.
Try these other tasty dishes!
- Chicken Flautas
- Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos
- Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup