This is a recipe for corn and black bean salsa with whole kernel corn, black beans, salsa, and spices is the easiest appetizer to put together.
Serve with corn chips or on top of tacos, enchiladas, burritos, taco salad, or even something simple like grilled chicken breast.
This black bean and corn dip recipe is what I would call a “dump” appetizer, similar to dump meals where you can throw it all together and serve it.
There’s next to no prep and involves no cooking at all unless you prefer to use fresh uncooked ingredients. The dish can be served at room temperature or allowed to chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Ingredients for Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Jar of Salsa (I used On The Border Medium Salsa)
- Can of Black Beans
- Can of Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- Chili Powder
How to Make Corn and Black Bean Salsa
It’s so simple to make. There’s no cooking or baking involved!
- Open the canned corn and black beans with a can opener and drain both.
- Pour both into a bowl and add salsa.
- Add spices and stir together.
Can fresh ingredients be used?
Fresh corn off the cob and black beans can be used, but should be cooked first just like canned goods are during the canning process.
For fresh corn:
- Using corn on the cob, you can either grill it for 10 minutes until charred or boil in a pot of water with ½ cup of sugar for about 12 minutes.
- Then, cut the corn off of the cob by running a knife vertically along the cob and break up the pieces.
For fresh black beans:
- For uncooked black beans, simmer in a pot of water (plus any desired seasonings) for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. Check frequently to ensure there’s enough water in the pot and check the beans for tenderness.
Freshly made salsa can also be added.
Can black bean and corn salsa be frozen?
Yes it can. Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months for best quality. When ready to serve, allow to thaw over night in the refrigerator.
Try these other tasty dishes!
- Chicken Flautas
- Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos
- Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Southwestern Salsa with Black Beans and Corn
- 1-16 oz Jar of Salsa, I used On The Border Medium Salsa
- 1-15 oz can Black Beans, drained
- 1-15.25 oz can Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, drained
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and serve with corn chips, on top of tacos, enchiladas, burritos, taco salad, or even something simple like grilled chicken breast.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.