Learn how to make this substitute for cream of mushroom soup from scratch without all of the preservatives, and tastier than the canned version!
I have added cream of mushroom soup to so many recipes that called for it that I’ve run out at times.
I personally am not a fan of the canned version and prefer making it myself with fresh mushrooms.
Not only do you get bigger pieces of mushrooms, but the flavor is tremendous and you get to decide what you want to be added to it.
Think of this as a basic version that you can make your own version of.
For instance, if you are doing a low-sodium diet you do not have to add salt. Instead, add flavor by adding in ½ teaspoon of garlic powder or onion powder.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- White Capped Mushrooms
- All-Purpose Flour or Carbquik for Keto
- Reduced-Sodium Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth for Vegetarian
- Half & Half
- Black Pepper
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you do not want all-purpose flour, substitute it for Carbquik as a keto or low-carb alternative, or another type of flour that you incorporate into your diet.
Vegetarian Cream of Mushroom Soup
To make it a vegetarian, nix the chicken broth and replace it with vegetable broth.
Cream of mushroom soup can be eaten on its own, but it is meant to be very thick like gravy.
It can be put on top of everything – mashed potatoes, pork chops, layered in your casseroles, you name it!
Try these other delicious dishes!
- 50 Best Soups for Cold Weather
- Air Fryer Mushrooms & Onions
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Bacon, Mushrooms, and Green Beans – Oh my!
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole
- Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 12 oz White Capped Mushrooms, sliced
- [¼ cup All-Purpose Flour or Carbquik for Keto]
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 1 cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth for Vegetarian
- [1 cup Half & Half]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and coat mushrooms. Slowly pour in half & half cream to blend. Add chicken broth and seasonings and bring to a simmer for about 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and allow to thicken.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.
Leave a Reply