This recipe will show you how to make creamed chipped beef on toast, also infamously known as “shit on a shingle.” Chopped pieces of thin dried beef mixed into a creamy gravy poured over a piece of crunchy toast in an open sandwich style.
You have probably heard of it and wondered what it was. You may have also heard it called “shit on a shingle.”
It’s a very simple and quick meal to make. After all, it only requires 4 ingredients to make the gravy in 10 minutes or less.
Not only that, it’s incredibly cheap!
I typically pay around $0.80 USD per packet of Buddig’s dried beef slices, and the rest of the ingredients I already have on hand.
You can also use Hormel or Amour’s dried beef.
Ingredients to Make Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried Beef (Buddig, Hormel, or Armour all work.)
- Toasted Bread
I’ve seen other versions with cream of mushroom soup or adding peas, but this recipe is the way my family always made it when I was a child and I very much prefer it!
Be sure you pay attention to the Buddig packet if that is the brand you are purchasing. I have accidentally picked up their corned beef packets before.
Not the flavor I was going for at all.
What is Dried Beef?
It is beef that has been salt-cured for a length of time, sometimes smoked for flavor, and dried. It is then sliced very thin like deli meat.
To add more beef, or not add more beef, that is the question.
When my mother and grandmother made this recipe they always used two packets, but I prefer more beef in mine.
I generally use three packets. It depends on what ratio of meat vs. gravy you prefer.
- One-Pot Chicken & Rice
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Three-Cheese Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- 4 oz Dried Beef (Hormel, Buddig, and Armour brands all work)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Toasted Slices of Bread
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once melted, add flour and stir to mix a roux.
- Slowly whisk milk into roux mixture. Slice the beef into squares if not already done so. Add salt, pepper, and beef to the pot. Bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat to allow gravy to thicken.
- Toast bread and serve the gravy over top in an open sandwich style.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 55mgSodium 1543mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 15g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.