Crock Pot chicken Marsala is seasoned, pan-seared chicken that’s then slow-cooked under tender in a creamy Marsala wine sauce with mushrooms.
Slow cooker chicken Marsala is an easy recipe with great flavor, a savory sauce, and makes tender chicken breasts.
There’s very little prep time and leaves you the opportunity to do other things while your home fills with the aroma of the wine cooking with the chicken.
This is one of those meals that can work for busy weeknights and also for date night.
If you’re looking for a more traditional version, try my stove-top method of chicken Marsala that gets the chicken crispy.
Crock Pot Chicken Marsala Ingredients
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Canola or Olive Oil
- Marsala Wine
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Minced Garlic
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Corn Starch
- Cold Water
How to Make Chicken Marsala in Crockpot
- Combine paprika, basil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a dish.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Rub seasonings onto each chicken breast.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken breasts until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken breast in a single layer in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Pour Marsala wine and chicken broth over top. Place the lid and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, until the chicken is very tender, almost to the point of shredding easily. Remove chicken from the crock pot.
- In a small bowl, make a corn starch slurry by combining corn starch and cold water. Add heavy whipping cream to the crock pot, and add in corn starch/water.
- Stir, add chicken back to the crock pot, and cover for 20 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken Marsala
Chicken Marsala is delicious when paired with sides. The creamy Marsala wine sauce with mushrooms is wonderful served over top of mashed potatoes, pasta, or egg noodles.
Want to make it low-carb?
If you’re looking for a low-carb version, serve it with zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice. I also recommend using a dry Marsala wine if going for low-carb because as with most wines, they do contain sugar.
To thicken the sauce, avoid using corn starch, omit the heavy whipping cream, and use cream cheese. It takes a little bit for it to melt and incorporate into the sauce, but it’s so worth it!
Can you make chicken Marsala without mushrooms?
Yes, mushrooms can be left out. The sauce is still a fantastic recipe even without the mushrooms!
Marsala Wine Substitutes
Marsala wine does have a unique flavor that is hard to replace, but if you are hardpressed to find Marsala wine Madeira is a great alternative. It’s a fortified wine, just like Marsala, meaning that it has additional alcohol content added to it, typically Brandy. Another popular alternative is sherry wine.
Try these other delicious Italian chicken dinners!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Olive Garden Chicken Kabobs
- Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Chili
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup Marsala Wine
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Cold Water
- Combine paprika, basil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a dish. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Dry rub mixture onto each chicken breast.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken breasts until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken breast in the bottom of slow-cooker. Add mushrooms and minced garlic. Pour Marsala wine and chicken broth over top. Place the lid and cook for 2-3 hours, until chicken is very tender, almost to the point of shredding easily.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot. In a small dish, combine corn starch and cold water. Add heavy whipping cream to the crock pot, and add in corn starch/water. Stir, add chicken back to the crock pot, and cover for 20 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Serve as is or over mashed potatoes, zucchini noodles, or pasta.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 222Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 103mgSodium 468mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 39g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.