This is an easy Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe made with 3 pounds of whole russet potatoes cooked in chicken broth that makes fork-tender potatoes done cooking in under 30 minutes!
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are incredibly easy to make in just one pot.
This is a basic recipe, but they turn out so savory and scrumptious!
Making mashed potatoes in an Instant Pot is especially handy when you’re making a big holiday meal and you’ve run out of burners on the stovetop and need another way to make them.
Not only that, but this cooks them evenly and they hold their moisture. They turn out fork-tender and are easily mashable.
I don’t know about you, but when I cook potatoes in a large pot on the stove, the pot has a nonstick coating that scratches easily from a metal potato masher.
That means I have to transfer them to another bowl, or even my mixer, to get them mashed. The nice thing about the Instant Pot is it doesn’t scratch!
If you have any leftover mashed potatoes be sure to try my air fryer mashed potato ball recipe!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
How to Cook Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe is made using a 6-quart Instant Pot. Cooking times may vary based on the size of the Instant Pot and the size of the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes and leave them whole.
- Place a trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot – it’s a must! Place the potatoes on top of the trivet.
- Add the chicken broth and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent.
- Use the steam setting and set the timer for 12 minutes. Allow approximately 15 minutes for the pressure to build.
- Once the timer is finished counting down, quick release the vent to release the pressure. I always use an oven mitt to prevent the steam from burning my hand.
- Use a potato masher to mash all of the potatoes. They should all be fork tender at this point.
- Add butter, milk, and salt to the potatoes. Stir as the butter melts.
Want to add to your potatoes?
Make loaded mashed potatoes by adding cheddar cheese, ranch seasoning packet, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives.
What to Eat with Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast
- BBQ Smoked Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Cast-Iron Skillet Flank Steak
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Quick and Easy Pork Medallions
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Ham
Try these other delicious Instant Pot meals!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 teaspoons Salt, divided
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Milk
- Peel potatoes. Place trivet at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place potatoes on the trivet and add chicken broth. Fill with enough water to cover potatoes and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Use the Steam setting and set the timer to 12 minutes. Allow pressure to build for approximately 15 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, quick release the vent. Remove the lid and drain the liquid. Carefully remove the trivet with tongs. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes.
- Add butter, milk, and 1 teaspoon of salt to the potatoes. Mix well as the butter melts.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.
Warning: don’t try to half this recipe. I was able to salvage my potatoes and they came out really good so I plan on making these again, but following the quantities listed this time!
Oh no! It’s good you were able to salvage them in the end. These Instant Pots can be so touchy!