French onion chicken bake has all the great flavors of French onion soup!
This baked dish has sautéed chicken and penne in a creamy sauce with caramelized onions and mushrooms topped with melted mozzarella and homemade croutons for a crunchy topping – just like the soup!
French onion chicken bake has the same great flavor of French onion soup.
It has juicy sauteed chicken, pasta, melted mozzarella, creamy sauce, caramelized onions & mushrooms, and crunchy garlic seasoned croutons on top that resemble the toasted bread on top of French onion soup.
Ingredients for French Onion Chicken Bake
- Diced Chicken Breast
- Focaccia or French Bread
- Sour Cream
- Can of Chicken Broth
- Minced Garlic
- Yellow Onion
- White Cap Mushrooms
- White Wine
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
How to Make French Onion Chicken Bake
- Bake croutons
- Boil noodles
- Sauté onions and mushrooms
- Pan-fry diced chicken breast
- Simmer sauce
- Mix ingredients in casserole dish
- Top with cheese and croutons
How Long to Bake French Onion Chicken
This dish needs to bake for 14-16 minutes until you see the sauce is bubbling.
Traditional French Onion Soup
Traditional French onion soup has a rich beef broth and some variation of red wine added. The dish I’ve created has chicken broth and white wine for a lighter pairing with diced chicken in this pasta dish.
By all means, if you have beef broth and red wine, try adding those to your dish and let me know how it tastes in the comments!
Try these other tasty dinners!
- 15 + Best Fondue Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Asparagus Wrapped Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
- Coq au Vin Fondue
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Garlic Bread Stuffing
- Easy Lobster Bisque
- One-Pan Baked Chicken Parmesan and Penne
- Shrimp in Garlic Wine Sauce
French Onion Chicken Bake
- 1 lb Diced Chicken Breast
- 8 oz Penne
- 1 ½ cups Sour Cream
- 1-14.5 oz Can of Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz White Cap Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup White Wine
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ cup Focaccia or French Bread, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt butter in the microwave. Coat bread with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Toss to coat evenly. Bake for 15 minutes until croutons are crispy. Once croutons are done baking, crush lightly.
- While croutons bake, cook penne until al dente according to package directions.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit after the croutons are done. Lightly grease a 13" x 9" casserole dish and add cooked penne, set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat and caramelize onions and mushrooms for about 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the casserole dish.
- Pat diced chicken dry with a towel and season with salt and pepper to taste. In the same large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat and cook diced chicken for 5-7 minutes until the center is no longer pink. Set aside in the casserole dish.
- In the large pan, cook minced garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil for 60 seconds. Add white wine, sour cream, chicken broth, half of the mozzarella, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into the casserole dish and mix with penne, chicken, mushrooms, and onions.
- Top with remaining mozzarella, and croutons, and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 14-16 minutes until sauce is bubbling.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.