How to make a mudslide that is the perfect treat for a hot summer’s day. These frozen mudslides are made with Kahlua, Irish cream liqueur, and vanilla ice cream in a chocolate swirled glass topped with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
Are you ready for a tasty frozen alcoholic drink? This drink tastes like a chocolate milkshake even though no chocolate is actually added to the ice cream mixture itself.
I like to think of it as an adult milkshake. This is similar to Applebee’s frozen mudslide recipe except they do not include Irish cream liqueur.
Another way frozen mudslides are served is by adding 1 part vodka as well.
Ingredients for a Mudslide
- Irish Cream Liqueur (Bailey’s, Ryan’s, or O’Reilly’s all taste great.)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream
The traditional mudslide is a creamy cocktail made with vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream liqueur, and usually heavy cream. Chocolate syrup, chocolate shavings, and whipped cream are popular garnishes. The ingredients are shaken with ice for a cold serving.
I think we can make a few tweaks to this list of ingredients so that it is more kitchen-friendly.
For example, instead of ice and heavy cream, I use vanilla ice cream. This gives it that same creamy texture but also puts one less item on your shopping list.
I decided to make this a mudslide recipe with Kahlua because that’s the most common one. You are free to use another coffee liqueur besides Kahlua like Kamora or one of the amazing craft coffee liqueur substitutes.
I also didn’t put vodka on the list. You can definitely add vodka or even replace the vanilla ice cream with vodka if you want less of a milkshake texture. Personally, I don’t think these Kahlua mudslides need vodka.
Baileys is my go-to Irish cream liqueur but again, feel free to use your favorite. For a more coffee-forward flavor, try Amarula. Ryan’s Cream is a good budget-friendly option.
How to Make a Mudslide
For that quintessential milkshake look, I drizzle chocolate syrup in the glass. You can use any wide-rim glass that doesn’t warm up too quickly.
This isn’t your average diner drink so I chose stemless wine glasses for a touch of elegance. These glasses also make it easier to differentiate the adult milkshakes from the kids’ milkshakes.
The base of this glass design fits nicely in your hands so that twirling the glass doesn’t become too risky. I haven’t dropped a single glass, yet!
You can’t really go wrong with vanilla ice cream so any brand works here. You could even make this a mudslide drink with less lactose by using dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
This single drink is everything we love combined into one magical vessel: milkshake, coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. Honestly, what more could you dream of having?
Spread the joy with these frozen mudslides!
Classic Kahlua Recipes
Looking for a mudslide without ice cream?
- Add 1 part Kahlua, 1 part Irish cream liqueur, and 1 part vodka.
Kahlua and Cream
- 1 part Kahlua and 1 part heavy whipping cream.
- A white Russian is 1 part Kahlua, 1 part vodka, and 1 part heavy whipping cream.
- A black Russian is 1 part Kahlua with 2 parts vodka.
Want to make homemade Kahlua?
Check out this homemade Kahlua recipe from Vegan in the Freezer.
Try these other sweet treats!
- Boozy Apple Slushies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Chocolate Drop Cookies with Chocolate Frosting
- Hershey’s Chocolate Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Orange Julius
- Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- Snow Ice Cream
- 1- oz Kahlua
- 1- oz Irish Cream Liqueur, Bailey’s, Ryan’s, or O’Reilly’s all taste great
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Syrup for Topping
- Whipped Cream for Topping
- Blend Kahlua, Irish cream liqueur, and vanilla ice cream in a blender.
- Twirl glass at an angle while drizzling chocolate syrup on to the inside of the glass from the bottom up to the rim. Pour blended ice cream into the glass and top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.