Do you love garlic bread? This creamy and delicious garlic bread soup tastes like garlic bread but in a bowl! It’s seasoned with bay leaves, thyme, garlic, and thickened with blended cubes of French bread with cream and Parmesan cheese.
Served with homemade croutons, but it is also a perfect pairing to dip grilled cheese into.
Hello, garlic lovers! This is the soup for you!
It’s one of those that you can dip anything into – a sandwich, grilled cheese, or croutons!
This creamy garlic soup is a real treat around our house. My in-laws introduced me to garlic bread soup several years ago.
Somehow, my soup always tasted different than theirs, so I tweaked it a bit and we love it!
Ingredients for Garlic Bread Soup
- Day Old French Bread
- Chicken Broth
- Bay Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Yellow Onion
- Whipping Cream
Ingredients for Homemade Croutons
- French Bread
- Minced Garlic
Thickening Garlic Bread Soup
I’m always interested in learning new ways to thicken soups with foods instead of with corn starch or flour. This one is thickened with bread, which is perfect since it is garlic bread soup.
Blending the Soup
Note: If you have a nonstick pot, be careful using a metal immersion blender in the pan! It will scratch the nonstick coating off the bottom of your pot.
How to avoid scratches in your pot:
- Use a pot without a nonstick surface that scratches easily.
- Use an immersion blender with a plastic base.
- Transfer the soup to another container, such as a large mixing bowl or Tupperware, that won’t be scratched.
- If you use your food processor or blender there’s no worry of scratches.
Try these other great meals!
- 50 Best Soups for Cold Weather
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Marsala
- Coq au Vin Fondue
- Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Chili
- Instant Pot Meatball and Potato Soup
- Lobster Bisque
- Meatloaf Marsala
- Double-Roux Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Garlic Bread Soup
- 3 cups Day Old French Bread, cubed
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 1 Medium-Sized Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 2 cups French Bread, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut French bread into 1″ cubes. Melt butter and minced garlic in a small dish. Drizzle bread cubes with garlic butter, sprinkle with basil and salt. Toss bread cubes to coat and place on a baking pan in a single layer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring halfway. Set aside.
Garlic Bread Soup
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium-sized heat. Once hot, add onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper, and cook for 7-8 minutes until onions begin to brown. Add garlic and cook until it becomes aromatic, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Whisk French bread cubes and heavy whipping cream into broth. Allow the bread cubes to absorb the liquid for about 5 minutes at a simmer.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the onion and bread cubes in the soup.
- Whisk in grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with homemade croutons.
You will need an immersion blender or food processor/blender for this garlic bread soup to be blended properly.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 15.8gSaturated Fat 8.5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 40mgSodium 2012mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0.7gSugar 2.1gProtein 19.4g
Nutrition is not always accurate.