This grilled chicken and asparagus foil pack recipe is full of flavor and color. They are seasoned with garlic, onion, paprika, and a dash of cayenne pepper. It’s all done cooking in just 20 minutes!
Chicken foil packets are fantastic! I cannot think of an occasion where these quick yet delicious surprises would not work.
As soon as it is asparagus season (which is now!), I look forward to making this recipe and lots of it. I prepare the chicken foil pack, pop them in the freezer and they are ready to go for the next meal.
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken and Asparagus Foil Packs
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 2″ pieces
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Thin Pieces of Asparagus
- Olive Oil
- Aluminum Foil
How to Prepare Green Asparagus
Let’s start with how to trim asparagus. There is more than one way to do it; which one is best depends on how fresh the asparagus is and how you will prepare them.
If you get the freshest green asparagus spears, all you have to do is cut off the woody bottoms. They say that if you snap them, it will break off at the exact point where the woodiness ends but I’ve found that this method takes quite some practice to get right. These veggies are too good to waste so I prefer to use a sharp knife, instead.
Peal asparagus that has already developed a woody layer all along its stem. Use a vegetable peeler so that you don’t slice too deep.
Can You Freeze Asparagus?
Absolutely! After trimming them, I quickly blanch the asparagus and let cool before placing in the foil packet and in the freezer.
How to Meal Prep Foil Wrapped Chicken and Asparagus
There aren’t many recipes with chicken and asparagus that do well in the freezer but this is one of the exceptions.
Like I mentioned earlier, the asparagus should be trimmed and blanched before freezing. However, the chicken does not need any cook time beforehand.
Simply cut the chicken breast into 2” pieces and create a dry marinade using the seasonings for grilled chicken. Portion the dry rub chicken bits into foil packets, folding tightly, and stack them in an airtight container, leaving as little space in the container as possible.
Are you wondering whether you can freeze raw chicken with vegetables? I’ll admit that I’ve cheated before and put everything in one foil packet but to be safe from salmonella, it is best to freeze the chicken and asparagus separately.
This is because you have to thaw the chicken in the refrigerator for several hours before placing it on grill. No matter how dry the chicken is, some of its juices will release and you don’t want this to soak the asparagus.
Is Grilled Chicken and Asparagus Keto?
This is an excellent example of keto grilled chicken recipes since there are no extra carbs. Is asparagus keto-friendly? Definitely, just healthy fiber in these greens.
Although perfect for keto-friendly meal prep, this recipe is fast enough for any night of the week. It’s the perfect way to enjoy asparagus season!
- Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Air Fryer Olive Garden Chicken Kabobs
- One-Pan Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Steak, Potato, and Mushroom Foil Packs
- 2-3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 20-24 (5-6 pieces per foil pack) Thin Pieces of Asparagus, trimmed of woody ends
- Olive Oil
- Aluminum Foil
- Place cut chicken and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add seasonings and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place four 12"x12" pieces of aluminum foil down on a flat surface. Spoon chicken evenly onto each piece of foil followed by 5-6 pieces of asparagus. Fold foil firmly closed around the chicken and asparagus.
- Heat grill to high heat of 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Once hot, place foil packs directly on the grill and cook for 10 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 77mgSodium 652mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 29g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.