Instant Pot BBQ pulled pork that is tender and pulls apart as if it has been slow-cooked all day, but the time is cut down to under 2 hours with only 4 ingredients! Serve with BBQ sauce on a bun or eat it as-is with a side of baked beans or cheesy potatoes.
Pulled pork is so quick and easy to make in an Instant Pot compared to slow-cooking for 8 hours in a crock pot.
I’ll never go back to slow cooking because the Instant Pot gives the exact same great taste and is so tender but in a quarter of the time!
I’ve mentioned these before and I’ll recommend them again. These Bear Paws are amazing for shredding meat!
They’re designed like bear claws (and we know bears can do some damage!) so that you can tear apart meat quickly and easily.
Ingredients for Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Pork Shoulder
- Beef Broth
- BBQ Sauce
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
Don’t have pork shoulder?
While pork shoulder is the traditional cut used to make pulled pork, you can also use a 4-pound pork butt with the same directions.
I have also cooked with 2 pounds of boneless pork ribs before. I picked it up on my way to work for a potluck we were having and needed pork that was sliced already.
If you have that on hand, follow the directions, but cook it for 25 minutes and quick release for 10 minutes.
Can you freeze pulled pork?
Yes! We do this all the time. It’s so easy to buy a huge pork shoulder, cook it, and freeze it so that you can have it later.
Be sure that the pulled pork is fully cooled after cooking in the Instant Pot.
I recommend storing the pork in small packages (like quart-sized Ziploc baggies with as much air removed as possible) so that you can take out what you need for meals down the road.
When it’s frozen in a big chunk it’s hard to pull apart until it’s fully thawed.
Store cooked pork in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to eat, thaw it overnight in the fridge or defrost it in a microwave-safe container in the microwave, being sure to rotate it so that it thaws evenly and doesn’t begin cooking hot spots further.
What goes with Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork?
These side dishes are delicious!
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Firecracker Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Kraft’s Italian Pasta Salad (Copycat Recipe)
- Smoked Sausage Baked Beans
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- 4 lbs Pork Shoulder, cut into 3-4 large pieces
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- Favorite BBQ Sauce, I use Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute, add oil, and allow to get hot before adding pork otherwise it will stick. Cook pork for about 3-4 minutes per side until it is browned. Once all pork is browned, return all pork to the pot and add beef broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, close the vent, set to Meat/Stew setting, set to high, and set the timer for 65 minutes. Once done cooking, allow it to natural release for 10 minutes before releasing the vent (be sure to wear an oven mitt to prevent burning from the steam.)
- Strain the beef broth and shred the pork on a cutting board. Return the pork to the pot and stir in BBQ sauce. Serve on a bun or eat as-is.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.