Instant Pot chicken cacciatore chili has all the great flavors of chicken cacciatore in a chili! It’s made with pulled chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, white wine, chicken broth, and seasoned with garlic, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Have you tried a traditional chicken cacciatore recipe?
It’s an Italian chicken dish loaded with sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, onion, red bell peppers, and seasoned with garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes in a tomato-based wine sauce.
It’s typically served over a bed of spaghetti pasta or hot polenta.
The word cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian and it’s believed the original dish was made with wild-game, like rabbit, but it’s since evolved into the popular chicken cacciatore dish.
And now, I’ve evolved it into a chili to enjoy on cold fall and winter days.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Chili
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (if using frozen chicken, use this recipe to make it shreddable)
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- All-Purpose Flour
- Dry White Wine
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Powder
- Bay Leaves
- Red Bell Pepper
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore Chili
- Pat chicken breast dry, season, and saute in Instant Pot.
- Saute onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, chili powder, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Deglaze the pot with white wine.
- Add chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Stir.
- Set chicken breasts on top, then bay leaves.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes and then quick release.
- Discard the bay leaves. Shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the pot, stir, and serve.
Try these other delicious soups!
- 50 Best Soups for Cold Weather
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Double-Roux Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- Easy Lobster Bisque
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Meatball and Potato Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Chili
- 1 pound Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt, and to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, and to taste
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 48 ounces Chicken Broth
- 14.5 ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes, do not drain
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Pat chicken breast dry and season with salt and pepper. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and once hot add the chicken breasts. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and once hot again, add onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often until they are tender. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, chili powder, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook an additional minute. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Add tomato paste and do the same.
- Pour white wine into the pot and scrape up any tidbits on the bottom of the pan while stirring the vegetables to help form a paste. Slowly add chicken broth while continuing to stir to break up the paste into a smooth liquid. Add diced tomatoes and stir. Set chicken breasts on top as well as bay leaves.
- Place the lid on with the vent closed and set to Meat/Stew setting, on ‘more’ (or ‘high’), and set the timer for 15 minutes. Once it is done cooking, quick release the seal on the lid.
- Remove chicken breasts from the pot and discard the bay leaves. Shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the pot, stir, and serve.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.