Use your leftover ham and potatoes to create a delicious cheesy leftover ham and potato casserole with cream of chicken soup.
Cheesy ham potato casserole is true comfort food. It is very similar to funeral potatoes with ham and leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
This is a dump recipe that is very simple and very easy to throw together. The best part is if you have leftover ham from a meal or holiday dinner you can dice it up and use it in this dish! I love being able to use recent leftovers for another meal and help clear out the fridge.
Plus, leftover ham is so flavorful, whether it was slow cooker pineapple ham, hickory-smoked, or honey-glazed air fryer ham, it will be really delicious in this casserole.
Ingredients for Cheesy Leftover Ham Casserole
- Potatoes or Hash Browns
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour Cream
- Garlic Salt
- Salt & Pepper
Do I have to use leftover ham?
Absolutely not! If you have no leftover ham in your fridge, cooked ham from the store works perfectly. I like to buy ham that is already diced to save myself a step.
My mother happens to have MSG intolerance and gets migraines that knock her out for days at a time from the real world. Because of that, I use homemade cream of chicken soup for this recipe in place of the canned version. It’s so tasty that I never buy the canned version anymore.
Can I make cheesy ham and potato bake ahead of time?
Yes! Add all of the mixed ingredients into your casserole dish, cover it, and then refrigerate it to bake within a day.
Freezing uncooked potatoes changes the texture of the potato itself and gives mixed results. They can become grainy and leave a watery substance around them.
If you want to freeze the dish prior to baking it’s best to use a 30-ounce bag of frozen hashbrowns in place of fresh potatoes.
If you wish to freeze the dish after baking it can be frozen for up to 3 months. For consumption, thaw it in the fridge and warm it in the microwave.
Try these other delicious dishes!
- Air Fryer Ham with Honey Glaze
- Bacon Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Garlic Bread Stuffing
- One-Pot Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Ham
- Ultimate Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Cheesy Leftover Ham Casserole
- 3 cups Cooked Ham, diced into ½″ – 1″ cubes
- 3 cups Potatoes, diced into 1″ cubes
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Reserve ½ cup for the last step
- 1 10.5 oz Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Freshly Chopped Parsley for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish (or 13" x 9" pan) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove foil carefully (cheese should be bubbly!) Stir, add ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese on top, and bake for 15 more minutes until the top is golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.
I made this last night it was good. First of all, though I want to say 5 minutes prep time is a joke. Maybe if you are a TV chef and the crew has laid everything out for you in advance. I made a few tweaks to the recipe. I used cream of mushrooms soup and I used chopped garlic instead of garlic salt. The cheese in my fridge was a Mexican blend. I added a small chopped onion and a half bag of frozen peas & carrots. For the final few minutes of cooking, I added the remaining cheese and topped it with a half can of fried onions. It all turned out well. The potatoes were just a bit firm, but not crunchy, and that was OK with me. Some people might prefer to add an extra 10 minutes or so to the cook time. Thanks for an EZ recipe to help use up some leftover Easter ham!