This is a recipe for lobster roll sandwiches served on a toasted hoagie with succulent pieces of lobster, mayonnaise, celery, and a squeeze of fresh lemon topped with green onion.
These lobster rolls are super tasty!
They are not sushi like the name would probably suggest. Rather, it’s lobster salad served in a hot hoagie bun.
Taking something so luxurious like a lobster tail and breaking it down into a hoagie bun may seem wrong, backward, against nature, but you will not be sorry! They are really good and my family loved them.
We had a night of trying different meat salads: chicken salad on pretzel buns, tuna salad on whole-wheat toast, and lobster salad on hoagie buns.
It was so delicious trying each one!
Ingredients for Lobster Rolls
- Hoagie Buns
- Lobster Tail (Any part of the lobster can be substituted)
- Fresh Lemon
- Green Onion
Not to be misled…
The hoagie buns pictured here are mini hoagies from Sam’s Club and I was able to get 4 mini hoagies filled with the amount of lobster salad in this recipe.
However, I know most people aren’t buying hoagie buns in bulk at Sam’s Club like me, so if you have the standard size from the grocery store it will fill two regular-sized hoagie buns perfectly. I tested it!
How much time to boil lobster tail?
About 5-7 minutes. Drop them in once the salted water is boiling.
How to know when lobster tails are done:
Keep a watchful eye out for the shell/tail to turn bright red. The meat will also become white all the way through and no longer translucent.
What goes with lobster rolls?
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Easy Fresh Herb Gluten-Free Potato Salad
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Kraft’s Italian Pasta Salad
- Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower
- Spicy Coleslaw
Try these other delicious seafood recipes!
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Coq au Vin Fondue (Great with shrimp, tuna, lobster, or salmon!)
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Glazed Salmon
- Double-Roux Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- Lobster Bisque
- Shrimp in Garlic Wine Sauce
- 2 Large Hoagie Buns (or 4 minis)
- 1 lb Lobster Tail
- 2 Celery Stalks, diced (About 1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- A squeeze of Fresh Lemon
- 1 tbsp Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Sliced Green Onion for topping
- Boil lobster tail in salted water for 5-7 minutes and lobster tail is bright red. Allow lobster to cool in colander or strainer. Remove lobster meat from the shell by cutting down the inner spine of the tail. Carefully remove the meat and dice it into fine pieces.
- Add celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, butter, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix well. Add lobster meat and stir to coat.
- Slice hoagie buns length-wise and place on a baking sheet with inside facing down. Broil buns in oven on high for 1-2 minutes, checking often until they reach a golden brown and do not burn.
- Add lobster salad to buns and top with green onions.