Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Confectioners Sugar (Icing Sugar)
- Pure Vanilla Extract
What if the frosting is too thick?
If your frosting is too thick add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
What if it’s too runny or thin?
Adding more powdered sugar is the best way to thicken frosting that is too runny.
However, it can also make the frosting too sweet so it is best to add small amounts.
Add 1-2 tablespoons at a time, to ensure it is maintaining the original flavor.
Is it hot and humid where you are?
Pop the frosting in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and allow it to cool down. This allows it to thicken up as it chills.
How do you thicken frosting without sugar?
Gelatin is a thickener that can be used to thicken frosting. To avoid altering the flavor of your frosting, make unflavored gelatin, and allow it to cool.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of the liquid gelatin to your frosting and chill it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let it set.
This cream cheese frosting is perfect for decorating cupcakes and cakes!
I add shortening to help the frosting maintain its shape, and it enhances the rich flavor at the same time.
What tip do you use to pipe cupcakes?
Another option is 2A, which allows you to have a smooth, round top.
How do you pipe a cupcake?
Cakes by Lynz’s piping tutorials on YouTube are easy to follow beginner videos.
I recommend following her steps if you’re new to piping. She also shows more tips and tricks in her other videos.
Does cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated?
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, it is safest to be refrigerated within two hours of use.
This includes the time you begin making your frosting and also applies to all frosted baked goods.
With that being said, each cupcake, cake, or cookie with cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated within two hours of frosting or serving for safest food practices.
What can cream cheese frosting be used for?
- Iced Pumpkin Bread
- Oatmeal Pies with Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes
Try these other tasty treats!
- Banana Nut Bread
- Butterscotch Blondies
- Caramel Crispix
- Cherry Chip Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Chocolate Drop Cookies with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Kolacky Apricot & Raspberry Cookies
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- New York Cheesecake
- Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- 2 lbs Confectioners’ Sugar
- 16 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Shortening
- If too thick, add milk 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and shortening.
- Slowly begin adding powdered sugar and blend well. Slowly begin adding powdered sugar and blend well. If too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until desired consistency.