Mexican black beans (frijoles negros) using canned black beans seasoned with cumin, minced garlic, and chopped onion cooked in chicken broth and topped with cilantro. The perfect side dish to tacos, enchiladas, flautas, and more!
Mexican black beans are one of my favorite things to eat. Especially if they are seasoned with cumin and garlic. They’re perfect on the side of tacos, flautas, or enchiladas.
They’re also great for bean dips!
Ingredients for Mexican Black Beans
- Black Beans
- Chicken Broth
- Olive Oil
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
Want to make it spicy?
There are a few options to make it spicier:
- Cook sliced jalapenos with the onion. The heat lies in the inner membrane.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper when you add the cumin.
- Cook whole habaneros with the onion for mild heat, and to make it really spicy, slice open the habanero – the heat lies within!
Looking to make black bean dip?
If you prefer black beans to be softer and mashed, use a potato masher to lightly break open the beans as they cook.
This breaks the outter “shell” of the bean and allows it to cook very quickly.
Delicious dishes that use black beans:
- Chipotle Black Bean Soup
- Speedy Black Bean Burgers
- Quick and Easy Feijoada (A hearty Brazilian black bean, pork, or beef stew)
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- Creamy Corn and Black Bean Dip
What goes with Mexican black beans?
- Easy Chicken Flautas
- Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos (with Homemade Pico de Gallo!)
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas