This is a copycat recipe for Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos with crispy fried wonton chips, Italian sausage crumbles, pepperoni, pepper rings, and melted mozzarella cheese served with marinara dipping sauce.
Have you been to Old Chicago and tried their Italian nachos? They’re so tasty!
We were going to have a get together one night and I thought, “I wish I could make those. It’d be perfect with our lasagna.”
I sought out what would be closest to the “pasta chips” they use. I found wonton wrappers to be the best choice and they were a big hit!
They even have a slight saltiness to them so I did not have to salt them.
Ingredients for Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos
- Wonton Wrappers
- Ground Italian Pork Sausage
- Pepper Rings
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
How to Make Italian Nachos
Cut your wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles.
Fry them in oil for about 2 minutes per side.
It can be difficult to tell if they are done and may still look light-colored. After you remove them from the pan, they continue to brown.
Cook the Italian sausage for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Spread the wonton chips evenly on a baking sheet, some overlapping.
Begin adding your toppings by layering with cooked Italian sausage, pepperonis, pepper rings, and finishing with mozzarella.
I put some mozzarella underneath so that it adheres to the chips a little better.
I’ve noticed some chips end up not getting any toppings on them if I don’t layer it a few times.
Be sure to serve it with marinara sauce!
Try these other Italian recipes!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Five-Cheese Lasagna Frittas
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Cajun Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
- Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Four-Cheese Ravioli Lasagna
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Kraft’s Italian Pasta Salad
- One-Pan Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza Roll-Ups
- 1 Package Wonton Wrappers, cut into triangles
- 1 lb Ground Italian Pork Sausage
- 1 package Pepperonis
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pepper Rings
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce, for dipping
- Vegetable or Canola Oil, for frying
- Cook Italian sausage over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes, and set aside.
- Cut wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles. In another pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, working in batches, add wonton triangles to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on both sides. Remove from pan and lay on paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- On a baking sheet, place a layer of crispy wonton chips. Layer with Italian sausage crumbles, pepperonis, pepper rings, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.