This is a copycat recipe for Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos with crispy fried wonton chips, Italian sausage crumbles, pepperoni, pepper rings, and melted mozzarella cheese served with marinara dipping sauce.
Have you been to Old Chicago and tried their Italian nachos? They’re so tasty!
We were going to have a get together one night and I thought, “I wish I could make those. It’d be perfect with our lasagna.”
This is recipe for Italian nachos uses wonton chips in place of the pasta chips.
I had sought out what would be closest to the “pasta chips” they use and the wonton wrappers were the best choice (and a huge hit I might add!)
They even have a slight saltiness to them so I did not have to salt them.
Ingredients for Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos
- Wonton Wrappers
- Ground Italian Pork Sausage
- Mild Pepper Rings
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
How to Make Old Chicago’s Italian Nachos
Cut the wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles.
Fry them in oil for about 2 minutes per side.
It can be difficult to tell if they are done and may still look light-colored. After you remove them from the pan, they continue to brown.
They will also bake in the oven at the end so they do not need to cook too long in the oil, but cooked enough that they’re crispy.
Cook the Italian sausage for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Spread the wonton chips evenly on a baking sheet or a platter with some overlapping.
Begin adding your toppings by layering with cooked Italian sausage.
Then, add a layer of pepperoni.
Top the pepperoni with banana pepper rings.
Add lots of shredded mozzarella cheese on top for the finishing touch.
Bake the platter or baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the cheese is melted.
Be sure to serve it with marinara sauce – it’s delicious!
Try these other Italian recipes!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Five-Cheese Lasagna Frittas
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Cajun Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
- Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- Crock Pot Chicken Marsala
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Four-Cheese Ravioli Lasagna
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Kraft’s Italian Pasta Salad
- Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
- One-Pan Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza Roll-Ups
- 1 Package Wonton Wrappers, cut into triangles
- 1 lb Ground Italian Pork Sausage
- 1 package Pepperonis
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pepper Rings
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce, for dipping
- Vegetable or Canola Oil, for frying
- Cook Italian sausage over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes, and set aside.
- Cut wonton wrappers in half diagonally to make triangles. In another pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, working in batches, add wonton triangles to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on both sides. Remove from pan and lay on paper towels to absorb extra oil.
- On a baking sheet, place a layer of crispy wonton chips. Layer with Italian sausage crumbles, pepperonis, pepper rings, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 64mgSodium 931mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 23g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.