This is a recipe for no-bake scotcheroos with smooth peanut butter blended into Rice Krispies cereal topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
I’ll be honest, when I first tried a scotcharoo a few years ago, I had no idea there was peanut butter in it. I am not a huge peanut butter fan, but in these bars, it’s not so noticeable once it is mixed with other ingredients. It’s like a peanut butter Rice Krispie treats bar.
I’ve seen scotcheroos recreated with a variety of cereals over the years – Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, and Chex. They can easily be changed up in this recipe, but I find Rice Krispies to be the best!
It’s like the perfect blend of sweetness with crunchiness together. The best part is there’s no baking necessary!
Ingredients for Scotcheroos
- Karo Lite Corn Syrup
- White Granulated Sugar
- Smooth Peanut Butter
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
It’s best to let the melted milk chocolate and butterscotch chips set on top before cutting otherwise it is a rather gooey mess.
I checked mine periodically and it took about two hours to become firm.
How many scotcheroo bars does it make?
It’s easy to cut 12 large squares or 24 small squares for more to enjoy.
We actually found smaller bars to be the perfect bite for this sweet treat. After initially cutting large squares, we cut them all in half to get smaller ones.
Can you freeze scotcheroos?
Yes! Scotcheroos freeze and thaw very well.
Keep them stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
If you plan on stacking them in layers, be sure to place parchment paper or saran wrap between each layer to avoid sticking.
For thawing, allow them sit at room temperature until they are fully softened.
Try these other sweet treats!
- Banana Nut Bread
- Butterscotch Blondies
- Caramel Crispix
- Chocolate Drop Cookies
- M&M Cupcakes
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- Pumpkin Bars
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup Karo Lite Corn Syrup
- 1 cup White Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- Prepare a 13"x9" pan by lightly spraying nonstick spray. Melt sugar with corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add peanut butter and blend well. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add Rice Krispies cereal and pour corn syrup mixture into the cereal as you mix. Pour cereal mixture into the 13"x9" pan and spread evenly.
- Melt milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small dish in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until melted through. Pour over top of the cereal and spread evenly. Allow to fully cool and let the top set until it is no longer gooey to the touch, about 2 hours, before cutting.
- For cutting guidelines see above.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.
Leave a Reply