This is a recipe for no-bake scotcheroos with smooth peanut butter blended into Rice Krispies cereal topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Yields 12 large bars or 24 small bars in a 13″ x 9″ pan.
I’ll be honest, when I first tried a scotcheroo a few years ago, I had no idea there was peanut butter in it.
I am not a huge peanut butter fan, but in these bars, it’s not so noticeable once it is mixed with other ingredients.
Scotcheroos have been recreated with a variety of cereals – Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, and Chex.
They can easily be changed up in this recipe, but I find Rice Krispies to be the best.
Ingredients for Scotcheroos
- Karo Lite Corn Syrup
- White Granulated Sugar
- Smooth Peanut Butter
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
It’s best to let the melted milk chocolate and butterscotch chips set on top before cutting otherwise it is a rather gooey mess.
I checked mine periodically and it took about two hours to become firm.
How many scotcheroo bars does it make?
It’s easy to cut 12 large squares or 24 small squares for more to enjoy.
We actually found smaller bars to be the perfect bite for this sweet treat. After initially cutting large squares, we cut them all in half to get smaller ones.
Can you freeze scotcheroos?
Yes! Scotcharoos freeze and thaw very well.
Keep them stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
If you plan on stacking them in layers, be sure to place parchment paper or saran wrap between each layer to avoid sticking.
For thawing, allow them sit at room temperature until they are fully softened.
Try these other sweet treats!
- Banana Nut Bread
- Boozy Apple Slushies
- Butterscotch Blondies
- Caramel Crispix
- Cherry Chip Cupcakes
- Chocolate Drop Cookies
- Frozen Mudslides
- Iced Pumpkin Bread
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Bars
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup Karo Lite Corn Syrup
- 1 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- Prepare a 13"x9" pan by lightly spraying nonstick spray. Melt sugar with corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add peanut butter and blend well. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add Rice Krispies cereal and pour corn syrup mixture into the cereal as you mix. Pour cereal mixture into the 13"x9" pan and spread evenly.
- Melt milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a small dish in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until melted through. Pour over top of the cereal and spread evenly. Allow to fully cool and let the top set until it is no longer gooey to the touch, about 2 hours, before cutting.
- For cutting guidelines see above.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 444Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 3mgSodium 191mgCarbohydrates 72gFiber 1gSugar 58gProtein 6g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.