This is a recipe for Japanese teppanyaki fried rice with the option to add carrots, peas, onion, or even make it into tasty chicken fried rice.
What’s the difference between Japanese and Chinese fried rice?
One of the main differences between Japanese and Chinese fried rice dishes is the length of the rice grain.
Chinese dishes tend to use long-grain rice and Japanese dishes use short-grain rice that tends to be stickier.
One of the things I have noticed about cooked rice, in general, is how dry it can be the next day.
When I cook rice with butter I’ve noticed it retains more moisture, especially for reheating.
What’s the difference between hibachi and teppanyaki grills?
Hibachi and teppanyaki are both types of grills used in Japan that have been modernized in restaurants today.
Hibachi is a small, portable, barbecue grill that is heated with charcoal. This is similar to the American charcoal grills we see.
Teppanyaki, on the other hand, is a flat-top griddle heated over an open flame.
How to Cook Teppanyaki Fried Rice
The closest thing to a teppanyaki grill that most people have in their homes is a modern-day electric griddle. It’s perfect for making teppanyaki fried rice.
That is what we’ll use in the recipe below to get as close as possible to the real thing
Ingredients for Teppanyaki Fried Rice
- Cooked Short-Grain Rice
- Soy Sauce
- Large Eggs
- Garlic Salt
- Diced Chicken Breast
- Yellow Onion
- Green Onion
For Best Results
Have you ever had leftover rice from another dish? Use it!
For best results, use day-old rice.
Day-old rice helps prevent it from becoming too mushy or sticking together after adding butter and soy sauce to it in this dish.
Try these other great Asian recipes!
- Applebee’s Chicken Wonton Tacos
- Chicken Stir Fry
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Instant Pot Ginger Pepper Steak
- Instant Pot Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs
- Japanese Steakhouse Ginger Sauce
- Peking Egg Rolls
- 2 cups Short-Grain Rice, cooked
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Large Eggs, scrambled
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 Chicken Breasts, diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Green Onion Stalks, sliced for topping
- Preheat griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If adding carrots, peas, or onion to fried rice, cook for 3-4 minutes on griddle with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil per half cup of vegetables until they begin to soften. Set aside.
- If adding chicken, dice chicken into 1/2″ cubes, pat diced chicken dry with paper towel, and season with salt & pepper. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to hot griddle and add chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside.
- Scramble eggs and cook on lightly greased griddle. Continue stirring until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt butter on griddle and add rice. Stir to mix with melted butter. Drizzle soy sauce over rice and add garlic salt, mix well. Add scrambled eggs (and vegetables and/or chicken if desired) and blend.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 361Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 158mgSodium 1007mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 26g
Nutrition is not always accurate.