How to make lemon cupcakes from scratch with a moist and zesty lemon cake from fresh lemon peel and a lemon buttercream frosting. It’s a light and sweet cupcake.
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for Lemon Cupcakes
- Granulated Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Lemon Extract
- Fresh Lemon Zest (Grate the colorful yellow part of the peel.)
Ingredients for Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Lemon Extract
How to Grate a Lemon
- To get lemon zest from a lemon, grate only the colorful yellow parts of the lemon peel. This is the part that is full of bright lemon flavor.
- Avoid grating the white parts of the peel because it can have a bitter taste. Add lemon extract and lemon zest and mix.
How Much Zest From One Lemon?
- It takes 2 medium-sized lemons to get the 2 tablespoons of zest needed for this recipe.
Lemon Zest Replacement
- Alternatively, most baking aisles at the grocery have ground lemon peel in the herbs and spices section.
It does not have as strong of a lemon flavor, but I have used it in lemon cupcakes combined with lemon extract and still had decent lemon flavor.
How to Make Lemon Cupcakes From Scratch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan(s) with 24 regular-sized cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or using a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, mix together shortening and sugar until they are creamy. Add eggs and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Begin alternating these dry ingredients with milk as you add them to the mixing bowl.
- Blend well after each addition of dry ingredients and milk.
- Add lemon extract and lemon zest to batter and mix.
- Fill each cupcake liner with approximately 3 tablespoons of batter. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-16 minutes until cupcakes are cooked through the center.
- Test with a toothpick in the center of a cupcake to check for doneness.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Mix together butter, 2 tablespoons milk, and lemon extract. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar. Add 1 more tablespoon of milk if needed.
- Frost cupcakes once they have fully cooled.
Try these other tasty cupcakes!
- Caramel Cupcakes
- Cherry Chip Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Milk Chocolate Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- Raspberry Cupcakes
- The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes