This delicious stovetop chicken and rice recipe is a family-friendly dinner with chicken and onion sautéed in butter, and seasoned rice blended together in just one pot.
It would be really easy to throw in extra vegetables, like steamed broccoli, or using cauliflower rice in place of white rice to make it low-carb.
Ingredients for Stovetop Chicken and Rice
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth
- Long-Grain White Rice
Preparing Stovetop Chicken and Rice
If you have a rice cooker you can absolutely cook the rice with the broth in it. However, that prevents it from being a one-pot meal.
There are directions to make it on the stovetop for anyone who does not have a rice cooker and it turns out just as if it were cooked in one.
There are no canned soups in this chicken and rice recipe. Meaning, no canned cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, etc.
Because of this, the flavors are more clear and less muddled together. There are so many great spices already being added to the chicken.
Sauces for Chicken and Rice Dishes
If you are looking for a gravy/sauce to add, you can easily add one of the condensed soups to the meal.
Canned condensed soups work just as easily. Heat the soup through with the chicken and rice and blend well.
Allow rice to cool after cooking and mixing with the chicken. Place chicken and rice in a microwave-safe container with a lid freeze for up to 4 months.
Once ready to thaw, place the container in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, stirring after every 1-2 minutes and fluffing the rice with a fork.
Side Dishes for Chicken and Rice
- Homemade Ratatouille
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 20 Easy Make-Ahead Freezer Meals to Make Before Baby Comes
- Asparagus Wrapped Chicken
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Grilled Chicken & Asparagus Foil Packs
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole
- Teppanyaki Fried Rice
Stovetop Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 2" pieces
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ cups Long-Grain White Rice, uncooked
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoons Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt + More to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper + More to taste
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Dice the onion into ½" pieces. Cut chicken into 2" pieces, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together Parmesan and all seasonings in a shallow dish. Cut chicken breasts into 2" pieces and coat with Parmesan seasoning blend.
- Heat butter in the same pan and once melted, add chicken and onion. Cook chicken for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and continue to stir onion.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add white rice and cover. Cook for about 18 minutes, until rice is tender, and fluff with a fork.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.