Delicious one-pot chicken & rice is a family-friendly dinner with seasoned chicken and onions sautéed in butter, and chicken-flavored rice blended together in just one pot.
Also, see freezer preparation below!
This meal is packed full of flavor with tender cuts of chicken, sauteed onions, and the rice turns out tasty on its own after it is steamed in chicken broth.
It would be really easy to throw in extra vegetables, like steamed broccoli, or using cauliflower rice in place of white rice to make it low-carb.
Ingredients for Tasty Chicken and Rice
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth
- Long-Grain White Rice
Preparing Tasty Chicken and Rice
If you have a rice cooker you can absolutely cook the rice with the broth in it.
There are directions to make it on the stovetop for anyone who does not have a rice cooker and it turns out just as if it were cooked in one.
There are no canned soups in this chicken and rice recipe. Meaning, no canned cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, etc.
Because of this, the flavors are more clear and less muddled together. There are so many great spices already being added to the chicken.
Sauces for Chicken and Rice Dishes
If you are looking for a gravy/sauce to add, you can easily add one of the condensed soups to the meal.
Canned condensed soups work just as easily. Heat the soup through with the chicken and rice and blend well.
Allow rice to cool after cooking and mixing with the chicken. Place chicken and rice in a microwave-safe container with a lid freeze for up to 4 months.
Once ready to thaw, place the container in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, stirring after every 1-2 minutes and fluffing the rice with a fork.
What goes with chicken and rice?
- Homemade Ratatouille
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Try these other delicious meals!
- 20 Easy Make-Ahead Freezer Meals to Make Before Baby Comes
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Asparagus Wrapped Chicken
- Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Chicken Marsala
- Cheesy Leftover Ham and Potatoes
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Glazed Salmon
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole
- Three-Cheese Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt + More to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper + More to taste
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Long-Grain White Rice, uncooked
- Dice the onion into 1/2" pieces. Cut chicken into 2" pieces, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together Parmesan and all seasonings in a shallow dish. Cut chicken breasts into 2" pieces and coat with Parmesan seasoning blend.
- Heat butter in the same pan and once melted, add chicken and onion. Cook chicken for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and continue to stir onion. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add white rice and cover. Cook for about 18 minutes, until rice is tender, and fluff with a fork.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 295Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 94mgSodium 1118mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 28g
Nutrition is not always accurate.