30-minute air fryer pepper steak is made with tender ribeye steak seasoned with garlic and ginger, green bell peppers, and onion tossed in a dark sauce with a sweet note.
The beauty of many Asian-inspired stir-fry dishes is that they come together so quickly, including the pepper steak and rice that you can order in nearly any Asian restaurant. That is why I want you to try it for yourself, at home.
Before you reach for the delivery apps, I really urge you to try my air fryer pepper steak easy recipe. Not counting the rice, this is a one-pan meal – or rather, a one-air-fryer-basket meal. Your family will never know it wasn’t take-out.
Also, try my easy Instant Pot Ginger Pepper Steak recipe!
How to Make Pepper Steak
There are many variations of pepper steak dishes but the crowd favorite is definitely the beef stir fry with peppers and onions. It has the savory flavors of onions, garlic, and bell peppers with a hint of sweetness in the sauce.
But for my own twist on this popular dish, there is no need for a big wok because there is no stir-frying. Everything goes into the air fryer. This gives a similar sear on the beef and crunch of the bell peppers without needing as much oil.
What Kind of Beef for Pepper Steak?
This is an air fryer ribeye steak recipe because I like the strong, almost gamey, flavor of this cut of beef. But like many of my recipes, you are free to substitute with other cuts of meat. This recipe works just as well with flank steak, round steak, or beef sirloin.
This is also a great recipe to make on a low budget because the beef doesn’t even have to be steak. The advantage of steak is that it cooks quickly but this sauce is so good that any more affordable cuts will taste equally delicious.
If you are working with tougher cuts of meat, I recommend first marinating the beef slices in the sauce. Leave it in the fridge for 1-2 hours so that the soy sauce and ginger can soften it up a little.
What to Serve with Pepper Steak
This dish is best served with white rice. The fluffy white grains will soak up all the sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
If you prefer whole grains, you can also swap out the white rice for brown rice or red rice. Since rice is gluten-free, you can make this your go-to gluten-free recipe by using a soy sauce that is free of gluten. That is the only swap you need to make.
I truly enjoy taking inspiration from popular restaurant dishes and making my own homemade version. This perfect marriage of soy sauce, garlic, pepper, beef, and ginger is the result of that.
I hope that this air fryer recipe also inspires you to recreate some of your favorite take-out meals. Have fun with it and don’t hesitate to experiment.
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- Chicken Stir Fry with Broccoli
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Instant Pot Ginger Pepper Steak
- Instant Pot Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs
- Peking Egg Rolls
30-Minute Air Fryer Pepper Steak
- 1 lb Ribeye Steak
- 2 Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Minced Ginger
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 5 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- Slice ribeye steak into thin 1" pieces against the grain. Slice peppers and onions into equal 1" pieces.
- Rub steak pieces with minced ginger and garlic.
- Lightly spray air fryer basket with oil. Add peppers and onions to the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes, then add steak and stir. Cook for 12-15 minutes until vegetables are tender and steak is browned.
- While it cooks, mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a microwave-safe dish and cook in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and cook an additional 30 seconds, then stir again.
- Once steak and vegetables are done cooking, toss with sauce and serve with steamed rice.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.