This is a recipe for homemade Instant Pot Hamburger Helper cheeseburger macaroni is a copycat 30-minute one-pot pasta meal made with ground beef, macaroni noodles, melted cheese, and a tasty sauce!
Hamburger Helper is already an easy dish to throw together (and albeit cheap too!)
So why would someone make it in an Instant Pot?
For one, times are hard right now and certain products are limited in the grocery stores. Simple boxed meals have been flying off the shelves the past several months.
Secondly, many are looking for a recipe without so many preservatives or MSG. This Hamburger Helper homemade version has no added MSG in it.
And most importantly, I think this version tastes better!
It also remains a one-pot meal and for a portion of the cooking you don’t even have to watch it. Go relax with a glass of wine!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Ground Beef
- Elbow Macaroni
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Half and Half
- Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
How to Make Hamburger Helper in an Instant Pot
To start, set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting on Medium/Normal. Add the ground beef and cook it for 6-8 minutes, until it’s browned.
Drain any excess grease and press cancel on the Instant Pot.
Stir in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and all of the seasonings. Scrape up any little tidbits stuck to the bottom from the ground beef cooking.
Make sure you have it good and ready because you cannot stir after this.
Add the macaroni noodles on top and scoot them around with a spatula or spoon so they are in an even layer and covered by liquid.
Lock the lid in place on top and seal the vent. Set the Manual setting to 4 minutes. It will take 12-15 minutes to build up pressure before it starts the timer.
Once the timer has ended, quick release the vent. I wear an oven mitt for this part so the hot steam does not burn my hand.
Remove the lid and carefully stir the noodles. Break up any clumps of noodles stuck together.
Add the cheese and half & half cream to the pot and stir. Allow the cheese to fully melt before serving.
How long does Hamburger Helper last in the refrigerator?
It can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Can you freeze Hamburger Helper?
Yes! For best quality, keep it in an airtight container for up to 6-9 months.
To reheat, you may need to add more water or cream to help the sauce come back to life and not have dried out pasta.
If you plan to add more liquid, it’s easiest over the stovetop so that you can stir and gradually add to it until the consistency is right.
However, at the end of the day, it’s still easiest and about the same amount of time whipping up a fresh batch. Not to mention, no loss in quality or taste!
Try these other delicious ground beef recipes!
- Four-Cheese Ravioli Lasagna
- Instant Pot Meatball and Potato Soup
- Maid-Rite Copycat Recipe
- Meatloaf Marsala
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole (Freezer Meal)
- The Best Instant Pot Spaghetti
Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 cups Elbow Macaroni
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 1 cup Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Set Instant Pot to Saute setting and add ground beef. Cook until it is browned, about 6-8 minutes. Press Cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings. Stir to combine and loosen any tidbits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Do not stir after this. Add macaroni in an even layer on top of beef. Press the macaroni down to be covered by liquid. Place the lid on top with the vent sealed.
- Use the manual setting to cook for 4 minutes. Once it has cooked, quick release, and remove the lid. Gently stir the noodles to break up any clumps. Add cheese and half and half cream. Stir to combine and allow cheese to melt.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.