These are half and half substitute recipes made with whole milk and butter or heavy cream and milk.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Have you ever started a recipe only to realize you don’t have the half & half that it calls for?
It can make a big difference if you do not substitute the fat content the recipe is looking for.
These are half & half substitutes you can make.
What is half & half?
Half & half is half whole milk (full-fat milk), and half-light cream.
Cream has more fat content than whole milk, coming in at about 10-12%. While milk has only 3.25% fat.
Because of this, the cream gives the whole milk a little bit more fat content than milk on its own. It also avoids being too rich if you only use cream.
What can I do if I don’t have any?
If you are out of any type of cream, we need to find a way to replace the fat content.
You can do so by adding butter with milk and that’s what we’ll do with the first recipe.
What other recipes can you use half & half substitute in?
- Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- One-Pot Three-Cheese Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Shrimp in Garlic Wine Sauce
- Starbucks Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino Cupcakes
- Ultimate Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
Half & Half Substitutes
Butter & Whole Milk Method
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Whole Milk
Heavy Whipping Cream & Whole Milk Method
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ⅔ cup Whole Milk
- Butter & Whole Milk Method
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt two tablespoons butter in the microwave. Either allow butter to cool or bring milk to room temperature before combining to prevent curdling. Stir to combine.
- Heavy Whipping Cream & Whole Milk Method
- Combine ingredients to equal one cup.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.
Leave a Reply