This is a recipe for Oreo bottom cupcakes with cookies and cream cake, an Oreo cookie bottom, and sweet Oreo buttercream frosting. It makes 24 regular-sized cupcakes.
My now 3-year-old toddler has been in love with Oreos for the past few months. It was love at first sight, really. It was only natural we had to have Oreo cupcakes for his 3rd birthday.
I decided to make the cake batter I’d use for my sweet cream cake recipe and add Oreos to enhance the cookies and cream flavor. They are exceptionally yummy! And my toddler lit up when he saw all the Oreos!
For all the Oreos: I used thin Oreos for the bottom of the cupcakes and only needed one package for that. I also had regular-stuffed Oreos on hand and used that for the cupcake filling and frosting.
Have you seen those mini cups of mini Oreos they have by checkouts at the grocery? I grabbed one of those and used that to top the frosting.
You can, of course, use regular-stuffed Oreos for the topping by cutting each one in half, and place the cut side into the frosting of each cupcake like in the photo above.
Ingredients for Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- White Granulated Sugar
- Large Eggs
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Thin Oreos; For the bottom of the cupcake. They can be replaced with a regular-stuffed Oreo or even a single layer of the cookie shell.
- Regular-stuffed Oreos, for the cake filling
The batter is thick and the cake is dense but it is so moist after it’s baked.
Ingredients for Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Regular-sized Oreos
- Mini Oreos
- Milk, as needed for consistency
How to Make Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line each cupcake tin with a cupcake liner. Add 1 thin Oreo to the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in one egg at a time and add vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Begin alternating as you add the dry ingredients and heavy whipping cream in the bowl until they are well blended.
- Take the remaining 6 regular-sized Oreos and remove the filling with a butter knife. Place the cookie in a bag or between two pieces of wax paper and finely crush them.
- Add ¼ cup of batter to each cupcake liner over the top of the thin Oreos. Bake the cupcakes for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean or the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- While they bake, begin making the frosting. In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, add softened butter, shortening, and vanilla to the bowl and slowly blend powdered sugar in. Add 1 tablespoon of milk (or more if it is still too thick.)
- Remove the filling from 12 regular-sized Oreos and finely crush the cookies in a bag and blend them into the frosting. You want these ones to be chopped extra fine if you are piping in a bag because they can clog your icing tips and not form smooth swirls. I’ve run into that a few times!
- Ice the cupcakes once they are fully cooled and top each cupcake with a mini Oreo.
What tip do you use for Oreo Buttercream Frosting?
Because this particular frosting has cookies chopped into it, it can be tricky getting it to come out of the icing tip if there are pieces too big.
How do you pipe a cupcake?
Check out my cupcake baking guide that answers all of your questions about baking, ingredient substitutes, and decorating the perfect cupcakes!
Try these other sweet treats!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Chocolate Drop Cookies
- Frozen Mudslides
- M&M Cupcakes
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Oreo Bottom Cupcakes
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- 1 ⅓ cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ⅓ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Regular-Stuffed Oreos
- 24 Thin Oreos for the bottom of the cupcakes. They can be substituted with a regular-stuffed Oreo.
Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- ½ cup Shortening
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 12 Regular-stuffed Oreos, filling removed and shells crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons Milk, as needed for consistency
- 24 Mini Oreos, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners. Add 1 thin Oreo to the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Beat eggs in a separate bowl until very thick, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla to the mixing bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Alternate adding dry ingredients and heavy whipping cream to the mixing bowl until well blended.
- Take 6 regular-stuffed Oreos and remove the filling. Place the cookie crusts in a bag or between two pieces of wax paper and finely crush them.
- Add ¼ cup of batter to each cupcake liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean or the tops spring back when lightly touched.
Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, add softened butter and shortening to the bowl and slowly blend powdered sugar in. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk.R
- emove the filling from 12 regular-stuffed Oreos and add the filling to the frosting.
- Finely crush the cookies in a bag and blend them into the frosting as well. Allow cupcakes to fully cool before frosting. Top each with a mini Oreo.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.