Quick and easy beef stroganoff in your Instant Pot is made with tender cuts of beef and mushrooms served with a savory sauce over egg noodles all cooked in one-pot. The cream of mushroom soup is made from scratch!
It’s also great as a freezer meal!
Instant Pot beef stroganoff is really easy to throw together and is a perfect one-pot meal.
It’s actually a Russian dish that has had many variations over the years.
It was originally served as beef with sour cream but has evolved into a dish with mushrooms, sometimes onion and red wine, and served over noodles, potatoes, or rice.
Any way you serve it, the taste of beef stroganoff is savory, creamy, and has a zing of flavors!
This is a pressure cooker beef stroganoff made from scratch. Meaning, there is no canned cream of mushroom soup added! I will show you how to make the cream of mushroom soup from scratch and add it to this delicious meal so it is MSG-free.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Stew Meat or Sirloin
- White Capped Mushrooms or Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Sour Cream
- Egg Noodles
- All-Purpose Flour
- Ground Mustard Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Beef Broth
- Red Wine
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Optional Sauce Thickener: Cornstarch + Cold Water
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
Absolutely! Beef stroganoff can be prepared and safely stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What Sides Go With Beef Stroganoff?
- Green Beans
- Steamed Vegetables
- Garlic Bread
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Steamed Broccoli
- Herb Roasted Asparagus
Beef Stroganoff Variations
- In place of egg noodles, use rice or mashed potatoes.
- If you have canned cream of mushroom soup on hand, you can use that in place of the sour cream and fresh mushrooms. Add the soup at the end when the sour cream is meant to be added.
- Have leftover steak to use? Cut into 1″ cubes, skip the saute step, and pressure cook for 5 minutes to get the beef tender with the mushrooms.
- No steak? Use ground beef in place of the sirloin!
Looking for low-carb?
Skip adding the flour to the beef and leave out the egg noodles.
Try these other great Instant Pot recipes!
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Beef Stew
- Ginger Pepper Steak
- Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs
- Mashed Potatoes
- Meatball and Potato Soup
- Pork Chops
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 lbs Beef Stew Meat or Sirloin, cut in 1" cubes (can also be replaced with ground beef)
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 8 oz White Capped or Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups Beef Broth, low-sodium
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 12 oz Egg Noodles
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil, separated
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Cold Water
- Cut beef into 1" cubes. Mix flour, ground mustard powder, and garlic powder. Coat beef with flour mixture.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute setting and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, begin browning beef in batches, about 2 minutes on each side. Set beef aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and stir for 2 minutes. Add beef back to pot and pour beef broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Give a quick stir, place the lid on, and close the vent. Set the Instant Pot to Meat/Stew, adjust to high heat for 12 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release by opening the vent. Be sure to wear an oven mitt while doing so to prevent burning from the steam.
- Add egg noodles to Instant Pot, replace lid with closed vent, keep on Meat/Stew setting, adjust to high for 5 minutes. Once done, carefully quick release again (don't forget the oven mitt!) Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper. Allow the sour cream to get warm before serving.
- Note: If sauce is not thickened, mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to Instant Pot and stir carefully to not break up the noodles.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.