Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas are made by tenderizing the chicken in a pressure cooker with green chiles, onion, and spices and then wrapped in flour tortillas, topped with homemade enchilada sauce, and baked in the oven.
While the name is Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas, they do have to bake in the oven for 20 minutes after the chicken is pressure cooked.
The tender chicken, green chiles, onion, and spices can easily be used like taco meat in a flour tortilla, corn taco shell, or a chicken enchilada rice bowl.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Diced Green Chiles
- Diced Onion
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Flour Tortilla Shells
Ingredients for Enchilada Sauce
- Vegetable Oil
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Broth
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
1. How to Make Chicken Enchiladas in the Instant Pot
- Begin by adding thawed boneless skinless chicken breast, chicken broth, diced green chiles, diced onion, cumin, garlic powder, and salt to Instant Pot and set to Meat/Stew setting, on High, for 15 minutes.
- For larger chicken breasts they may need to go 20 minutes.
- Once done, quick release by opening the vent on the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Shred the chicken with a fork or Bear Claws and mix with sour cream.
Tip: While the Instant Pot cooks the chicken start making the enchilada sauce.
2. How to Make Enchilada Sauce from Scratch
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add oil. Once melted, whisk in flour.
- Slowly add chicken broth while continuing to whisk. Add tomato paste, all seasonings, and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Bake the Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 13″ x 9″ baking dish, spread an even layer of enchilada sauce.
- Make each enchilada by spreading a teaspoon of enchilada sauce in the center of each tortilla followed by approximately ¼ cup of chicken mixture.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and queso fresco. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Spread enchilada sauce on top prior to serving.
Try these other delicious recipes!
- Chicken Flautas
- Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Chorizo Queso with Flour Tortilla Chips
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Grilled Marinated Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- Instant Pot Street-Style Beef Tacos
- Mexican Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 oz can Diced Green Chiles
- ½ cup Diced Onion
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Crumbled Queso Fresco
- 10 Flour Tortilla Shells
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1/ 2tsp Salt
- Add chicken, chicken broth, green chiles, onion, cumin, garlic powder, and salt to Instant Pot and set to Meat/Stew setting, on 'more' (or high), for 15 minutes (For larger chicken breasts they may need to go 20 minutes.) Once done, quick release and shred chicken with a fork or Bear Claws and mix with sour cream.
- Meanwhile, make enchilada sauce in a saucepan over medium-high heat by adding vegetable oil and whisking in flour. Slowly add chicken broth while continuing to whisk. Add tomato paste, all seasonings, and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 13" x 9" baking dish, spread an even layer of enchilada sauce. Make each enchilada by spreading a teaspoon of enchilada sauce in the center of each tortilla followed by approximately ¼ cup of chicken mixture. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and queso fresco.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Spread enchilada sauce on top prior to serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 479Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 102mgSodium 1877mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 33g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.