This is a delicious Italian Marsala wine sauce with mushrooms made with a tomato base, mushrooms sautéed in butter, onion, garlic, basil, and Marsala wine. Serve over pasta with steak or chicken.
I love a good Marsala sauce!
Never once did I think about making it into a tomato-based sauce.
It turned out surprisingly delicious. Like, restaurant-quality from scratch.
My family (who are my official taste-testers) gave it 5-stars and said it should remain on a recipe card at the front of the recipe box so that we have it in a weekly meal rotation.
So here it is for you to try and let me know what you think in the comments!
Ingredients for Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
- Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Marsala Wine
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Minced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
How to Make Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
Begin by sautéeing the sliced mushrooms with butter in a large pan until tender. Add minced garlic and onion and cook for an additional minute.
Next, add crushed tomatoes, marsala wine, basil, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the pan.
Allow to simmer for 8 minutes while stirring frequently.
What is Marsala Wine?
The wine comes from the Italian city of Marsala located in Sicily, Italy.
Marsala wine is a fortified wine, meaning it is mixed with distilled spirits, typically brandy, that increases the overall alcohol content of the wine.
It can be a dry or sweet wine.
Marsala Wine Substitute
While Marsala wine has a distinct notable flavor, there are some substitutes that can be used for this recipe.
A decent marsala wine replacement is a pinot noir or Madeira wine, which is another fortified wine.
Try these other delicious Italian meals!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Breadcrumb Caesar Salad
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Instant Pot Penne Rustica
- Kraft’s Italian Pasta Salad Copycat Recipe
- One-Pan Baked Chicken Parmesan and Penne
- Romantic Valentine’s Day Dinners At Home
- The Best Instant Pot Spaghetti
- 1-28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Marsala Wine
- 1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Minced Onion
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Basil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- In a pan, melt butter and saute mushrooms for 7 minutes over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and onion and cook for an additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, marsala wine, basil, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer for 8 minutes while stirring frequently.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from referring products I use and love at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 109Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 741mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 3g
Nutrition is not always accurate and products used in the recipe may differ from local ingredients available to you.