This is a delicious Italian Marsala wine sauce with mushrooms made with a tomato base, mushrooms sautéed in butter, onion, garlic, basil, and Marsala wine. Serve over pasta with steak or chicken.
I love a good Marsala sauce!
Never once did I think about making it into a tomato-based sauce.
It turned out surprisingly delicious. Like, restaurant-quality from scratch.
My family (who are my official taste-testers) gave it 5-stars and said it should remain on a recipe card at the front of the recipe box so that we have it in a weekly meal rotation.
So here it is for you to try and let me know what you think in the comments!
Ingredients for Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
- Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- Marsala Wine
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Minced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper
How to Make Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
Begin by sautéeing the sliced mushrooms with butter in a large pan until tender. Add minced garlic and onion and cook for an additional minute.
Next, add crushed tomatoes, marsala wine, basil, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the pan.
Allow to simmer for 8 minutes while stirring frequently.
What is Marsala Wine?
The wine comes from the Italian city of Marsala located in Sicily, Italy.
Marsala wine is a fortified wine, meaning it is mixed with distilled spirits, typically brandy, that increases the overall alcohol content of the wine.
It can be a dry or sweet wine.
Marsala Wine Substitute
While Marsala wine has a distinct notable flavor, there are some substitutes that can be used for this recipe.
A decent marsala wine replacement is a pinot noir or Madeira wine, which is another fortified wine.
Try these other delicious Italian meals!
- Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Crock Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Penne Rustica
- Romantic Valentine’s Day Dinners At Home
- The Best Instant Pot Spaghetti
Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
- 1-28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Marsala Wine
- 1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Minced Onion
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a pan, melt butter and saute mushrooms for 7 minutes over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and onion and cook for an additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, marsala wine, basil, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer for 8 minutes while stirring frequently.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.