Chicken Marsala with crispy pan-fried chicken and baby bella mushrooms sauteed in butter in a savory Marsala wine sauce. Serve over mashed potatoes or with noodles. Perfecto!
Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite chicken dishes and I love chicken. This recipe is easy to make and everyone will love it!
The chicken in this recipe is crispy, but you can make it with grilled or baked chicken and serve it with the mushrooms and Marsala wine sauce in the recipe.
Ingredients for Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Breasts
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Marsala Wine
- Chicken Broth
- Black Pepper
Want to double the sauce?
The most I ever mix of the wine sauce is a 2:1 ratio of chicken broth to Marsala wine, and I never add more than that.
However, if you are doubling the recipe mix slightly less wine: 2 ⅔ cups chicken broth with 1 cup of Marsala wine.
Allow your Marsala wine to cook down the alcohol for several minutes. This allows the rich flavor to remain.
I once tried adding more Marsala wine to the dish, thinking it would taste extra good, but extra wine will actually overpower your mushroom sauce with a very strong wine flavor.
Mushrooms for Chicken Marsala
The mushrooms you choose for this recipe can be white-capped mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms, or cremini.
I’ve even seen canned mushrooms used, which may be a culinary sin, but use what you have on hand or find in the grocery.
What type of wine is Marsala?
The wine comes in both red and white, and sweet and dry. It is a fortified wine, which means additional alcohol is added to bring it’s alcohol content up.
Marsala wine is originated in the small town of Marsala in Sicily, Italy.
Which type of Marsala wine is used to cook with?
Dry wine is traditionally used and preferred in cooking savory dishes.
What goes with chicken Marsala?
It is best served over mashed potatoes or noodles cooked in chicken broth.
Of course, it can be eaten without either side because who doesn’t love sautéed mushrooms in a wine sauce over fried chicken?
Vegetable Sides for Chicken Marsala
Try these other great meals!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Crock Pot Chicken Marsala
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Five-Cheese Lasagna Fritta
- Garlic Bread Soup
- Marsala Wine Sauce with Mushrooms
- Meatloaf Marsala
- One-Pan Baked Chicken Parmesan & Penne
- One-Pot Creamy Three-Cheese Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- Shrimp in Garlic Wine Sauce
- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts, cut into strips
- ¾ cup + ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 12 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- ⅔ cup Marsala Wine
- 1 ⅓ cup Chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley, for topping
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and dredge in ¾ cup flour that has been seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat with olive oil. Once hot, cook chicken for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through, until no longer pink in the center and golden on the outside. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set chicken aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, scrape up any leftover tidbits from the chicken. Add mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ½ cup flour to the mushrooms and stir to coat. Slowly pour chicken broth into mushroom/flour mixture until well blended. Add Marsala wine and thyme. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes as sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken back to the pan and serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Top with fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.