Instant Pot macaroni and cheese with evaporated milk, white American cheese, and dijon mustard for seasoning. It’s incredibly easy to make and turns out so creamy and cheesy!
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
- Elbow Macaroni
- White American Cheese or Cheddar
- Can of Evaporated Milk
- Dijon Mustard
- Black Pepper, optional
What is evaporated milk?
Evaporated milk is the unsweetened version of condensed canned milk and has majority of the water removed from it. It also has no sugar added.
To make evaporated milk at home, add 3 cups of whole milk to a sauce pan. Bring it to a simmer for 25-30 minutes until it is reduced by half.
This allows the water content to be reduced and makes it more creamy.
Another alternative to evaporated milk is half and half which will make the cheese nice and creamy.
Instant Pot Pasta Rules
Wondering how much water for macaroni in Instant Pot?
The general rule of thumb for the water ratio is 8 ounces dry pasta to 2 cups water.
Always be sure to press the pasta below the water level for even cooking.
Cook times are determined by taking the lowest time on the pasta package directions, dividing it in half, and subtracting 2.
If the lowest time on the package is an odd number, decrease by 1 to get an even number before dividing in half.
Example: It says to cook the pasta 11-12 minutes.
Since it is not an even number, decrease by 1 digit to get 10. Then divide in half to get 5, and subtract 2 minutes to equal 3 minutes total cook time.
How to Make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Add the elbow macaroni, water, and salt to the Instant Pot. Stir and then press the pasta underneath the water level in an even layer for even cooking.
- Place the lid on top and close the vent on the lid. Use the Manual setting and set the timer to 4 minutes. Allow pressure to build for approximately 12 minutes, then it will begin counting down the timer of 4 minutes.
- Once it is done cooking, quick-release the pressure on the lid by opening the vent. Press Cancel to stop any further cooking.
- Remove the lid and gently stir the pasta to break up any clumps. Add butter, evaporated milk, dijon mustard, and cheese to the pot, then stir.
- Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and wait approximately 3-5 minutes for the cheese and butter to melt. Stir to combine.
What goes with Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese?
- Air Fryer Breaded Pork Chops
- Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Honey Glazed Air Fryer Ham
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Ham
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken
Try these other delicious Instant Pot recipes!
- Beef Stroganoff
- Hamburger Helper
- Mashed Potatoes
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Penne Rustica
- The Best Spaghetti
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces Elbow Macaroni
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pound White American Cheese or Cheddar, Approximately 3 cups
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1-12 ounce can of Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Black Pepper, optional
- Add elbow macaroni, water, and salt to the Instant Pot and stir. Press pasta underneath the water in an even layer. Place the lid on top and close the vent.
- Using the Manual setting, select 4 minutes. Allow pressure to build for approximately 12 minutes, then it will begin the timer.
- Once it has finished cooking, quick release the pressure on the lid. Press Cancel to stop further cooking.
- Remove the lid and gently stir the pasta to break up any clumps. Add butter, evaporated milk, dijon mustard, and cheese to the pot, stir. Place the lid on top and wait for approximately 3-5 minutes for the cheese and butter to melt. Stir to combine.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn referral fees from products I love and recommend at no extra cost to you.